01 April 2009

G-tube Feeding 101

How do you feed Vera? People ask me.

'I pour milk into her tummy' I reply. You should see their expression.

Well, here's how it actually works. Quite ingenious really.

This is where the feeding 'hole' is on Vera's tummy:


Made of silicone, it's soft and rubbery and has a simple open/close flap.

When it's time to feed, we open the flap, insert a tubing to vent her (meaning let the air out of her tummy so milk can go in). Then we attach this other tubing (after priming it with milk) into the hole.

Milk is poured into a syringe and voila! It flows into Vera's tummy due to gravity.

We take about 20 minutes to feed 120ml. This is half the time it took on the ng tube. Mommy is very very happy with the improved timing! I remember those long feed days... a real test of patience. This new way of feeding seems to make for a less cranky Vera as well. Before she was aware of something going on near her face. Now she's unaware that we're feeding and continues busy sucking her fingers.

When we're done, this simple clamp does the job to stop the milk flow, so we can remove the tube.

Got it? Now, any volunteers to come help me feed Vera?

4 comments:

Cathy said...

May, I love that you are home to post! Lucky for all of us. But showing these pics you make me miss my Bard button. It was so much softer an flat on her belly. Also, remember I told you Annabel's didn't leak, well, this week it is everyday. She does have green oozing everywhere so maybe it just needed to come out around the button also.
Another subject, oh how I wish that you could make conference. I wish you were so much closer. I know of two others that will be turning 1 early summer, and one that is turning two and another that is almost 4. These have never attended and I so wish you could be in our group of sharing about each one of our girls! (As I have said, couldn't get me on a plane for 24 hrs.) I am so glad you are home. Hope Ian is enjoying being back to work and not missing his sweet Vera too much!

Kathy said...

So very glad that your little Vera is more comfortable at feeding time! That has to make your life easier too.

Thanks for the visuals. You should write a manual for other moms who are contemplating or going through this with their babes. You and Cathy would make a great team doing this!

I live in Michigan, otherwise I would sign up to come feed Vera! She is so precious! I am so glad she is doing so well.

God bless you as you make the adjustment being home.
Kathy

connie said...

I've always wanted to do a post like this - now I don't have to! Your model is so cute; the pictures came out great! I even love that your tubing has the pretty green ... ours are all white. Can you believe that I'm a little bit jealous of that???!!!

Yin May said...

haha connie the occupational hazard of tubefeeding moms! Yes, I even make sure the brand of syringe is a particular one...for it's nice clean markings! mad or what?