03 April 2009

Feeding Toy

Vera loves her spoon. It's her favourite teething toy, next to the ark probe, which continues to give her tonnes of relief from itchy gums. She's learnt to grip the spoon between her gums and by biting and letting go, create some visual self-entertainment.

The little girl is starting to learn about cause-and-effect now. If I move my jaw, the thing-I-don't-yet-know-called-a-spoon moves up and down. If I move my hand to and fro, it brings water into my mouth.

I hold her hand lightly because her grip is weak. But other than that, the movement is her own. One of my goals of being at home is to keep up her feeding therapy. Nothing would make me happier than having her overcome her dysphagia and be able to eat all the wonderful things nature has to offer. Well, at least she loves sky juice. It's a good start.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I love the fact that she wants to put something in her mouth. Annabel was so hard to teach that the spoon was ok. or anything on it for that matter. Thank you for the pictures and the updates as she is progressing. it is so helpful, because Vera could be doing something that maybe Annabel is just beginning. I think we all win by you being home and teaching us also. Thank you, May!

Uncle Nick said...

Vera will now have more of Mom's nurturing and company.

There's no better time to bond an experience so unique!

You're doing great. Both of you together.

connie said...

I'm not kidding, May. Pictures of her make me wish I lived near you. I'd be holding her all the time.

I wish Mallorie liked things in her mouth, but Vera gives me hope.

Kelly said...

that spoon does look very fun! lucky vera! i love seeing all of the new pics of her. she looks like she's recovered so quickly from her surgery. can't wait to hear updates on her self-feeding adventures!

and oh yeah, when you said "sky juice" did you mean water? if so, that is the best thing i've heard in awhile and i may have to steal it :)

siongge said...

Wow! Great job! So happy to see Vera overcome one hundle after another. I can see May will soon be busy searching for yummy recipes. Rebekah.

Penny said...

She looks like she is really enjoying her spoon! It looks like she is healing well and coming right along.