07 November 2010

The Purpose of Life

When I was in high school during a Moral Education lesson, I remember the teacher asking us:

"What is the purpose of our lives?"

In Chinese: "Wo men huo ze gan she mo?"

I remember it distinctly because no one had an answer. Neither did the teacher provide one.

'Isn't the teacher supposed to give us an answer when no one knows it?' I wondered then.

The question stuck in my head. I mulled over it along the way.

Is it to earn lots of money?
Is it to win lots of awards?
Is it to see the world?
Is it simply to be happy?

20 years later, the answer reveals itself.

The purpose of my life is to help two little people who need me.

To be Vera's care manager. To be her voice. To show naysayers the day-to-day reality of this happy (and unhappy), responsive child behind the Trisomy.

To teach Daen how to eat, poo, talk and grow into a good person.

To perhaps also help others who are on the same path we've trodden...mothers longing for a VBAC, parents of a T18 child.

And what's the purpose of Vera's life?

For a start, she's shown me the answer to the purpose of mine.

"I long to accomplish a great and noble task,
but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks
as if they were great and noble."
Helen Keller

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

we need a LIKE button here, my dear pal!

B

Annie said...

Very nice May.I have always thought that if you want to see the immense quality in the lives of these children you need to look beyond only them. Their quality is clearly reflect in the eyes and in the actions of those who love them

Yin May said...

Well said too Barb!

Cathy said...

Wonderful thoughts! Thank you for sharing. Praying that her secretions will clear up and that he sats will show improvement.

Unknown said...

May,
How beautiful! I cried! Then I looked at Lily lying on the floor, sleeping, and thought about how amazing our little ones are. To think, your teacher didn't have the answer, yet a little 2 1/2 year old girl does!