27 March 2009

Trading Places

From next week, Ian and I will be reversing roles. He will return to work (I bet he’ll miss Vera big time) and I’ll become a PAVE – Personal Assistant to Vera. (Gotta think of a snazzy title for myself, cos SAHM (Stay-at-home mom) doesn’t quite match up to the job.

In my entire working life, I’ve never really taken a break. It was always non-stop from job to job. Working has always been what I’d expect of myself, not so much because I had bills to pay, but because I genuinely enjoy what I do.

But along came the recession, and the big squeeze on companies and their manpower. Employees, desperate to hang on to their jobs in hand, now put in extra hours without protest. The work-life balance that I managed to strike was slowly tipping one way.

I kept playing what one mother said over in my head: “There will always be time to go back to your career. But you cannot go back for their childhood.”

So it's decided.

The opportunity cost will be high, living on one income. The challenges will be many (am I stay-home-mom material?) The future will be uncertain (will I find a job as easily again when I return?) But I’m taking the NIKE road on this: Just do it.

Last year was a roller-coaster ride for us. Looks like this year we’ll still be flying by the seat of our pants, minus safety belts.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I will just let you know, that staying home is also hard! Not as hard as working and being a mommy, but sometimes the day to day same old same old can get you down. Will Vera still attend school? You need some May time also. I have heard that and for the first three years everyone suffered except for Annabel. Now with Annabel going to school(she loves it so) I have time to reenergize while she is away and be so ready when she returns. This week is spring break for her and I sometimes thing "How did I do this all day thing?" But you do and you will.
Vera is in our prayers and hoping she recovers nicely. I didn't mean to bump you out as far as healing with the button (oozing) but I am sure each one is different. Alex(one sidebar) mom told me about Kenalog cream/oint to put around the site. But you can only use about 3 days, then stop for a few then use again. I think it is a steriod cream/oint so by overexposure the skin can break down but just a few days with a break is great. I think I saw huge improvement with Annabel's site after using this. If you are interested let me know via email and I will confirm the name to make sure I have the right name.
Don't forget if you feel the need to come to the States in July we would love to see you at conference. (Honestly, don't think I could fly that long with baby or no baby) I am so dreading the 3 hours there on a plane.

Anonymous said...

Cant give comments much as me not in ur shoes.Me also a SAHM as wanted to provide more to my child.In the initial stage will be difficult but once u get the hang of it hope things will get better and more smooth. Ur hubby can do it so can u!Kambatte!

Joanna Tan said...

Pretty Envy you in a way. I love to be a SAHM. I would like to see my son grow up and be part of his childhood instead of just being a weekend mum. I'm trying to go into some online business so hopefully I can be sucessful. Wish me Luck ! All the best to you too ! We will work hard together in our own way.

connie said...

I love PAVE! And I love that you are getting this chance, even though it's scary.

I'm jealous, and proud of you. Wish I could do it.

Mummy Pauline said...

May,

"Jia you, jia you".

siongge said...

You did the right thing at the right time! We have enough things to worry today, about returning to work worries....guess we can leave it to the future :p and replace it with "I will sure get a better job" . Rebekah.

Matt 6:34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.