29 March 2009

Happy 13th Month (belated)

Two weeks after the surgery, Vera is now more her normal self. Although she's still weak in the legs and doesn't like to stand like before, at least she's responding to our efforts to cheer her up.
The best part is, there's NOTHING on her face now. No tubes, no rash, no sticky tape. In their place are lips that keep trying to make an 'O', you'd think she wants to kiss you.

The little girl is much, much happier without the ng tube. So we were right to listen to all you mothers who've been there! With nothing in her nose, I think she actually breathes better especially at night, even with a runny nose.

Another blessing is this: there's been not one vomitting ever since the surgery! Even when she chokes lying down. This is big news, coming from the days where she'd puke 2-3 times a day. So, I'd say the fundoplication has done it's job. More on her new button later and the new way of feeding, but all in all, it's good news after the surgery.

Now, we watch Vera not because we need to catch her hand from pulling out the ng tube, but because we love her new chubby cheek look!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mei,

Thanks for the update, all the pictures warms my heart so much. I am so happy and cheer with you for all the good things that are happening and improving on Vera that will be continuing for sure. Hope you are better too.

Anonymous said...

This is all wonderful news that is so great to read. It sure looks like Vera is waving and blowing kisses to everyone in the pictures you posted. She is so cute!!

Barb
Annie's mom

Cathy said...

I am so happy for Vera and mommy and daddy!I am sure the kisses are sure to follow. She looks amazing. I am glad for the vomitting also. I will continue to watch for new things with feeding as I believe we can all learn something new. I love the pictures and I bet before long she will be standing. Is the belly area improving?

Anonymous said...

hellooooo missy vera..... hope u and mommy get well soon then we can all go out again! missing u all lots!

auntie B

connie said...

She is beautiful, May! I am so glad the tube decision has turned out to be so good for her. I will admit (now) that I worried you would not be as happy with the decision as we have been. For us, I wonder why we ever worried if it would be a good thing ... It took Mal's daddy one look at her with her tube out, one day when we were in the NICU while it was being changed, to realize she had to be more comfortable not gagging on a tube. And he wanted to see her beautiful face just as it was!

How are the bolus feedings going? I wonder if I can get you some of those long skinny extension tubings, or if you will even need them. How fast can she tolerate a feeding going in?

Anonymous said...

Happy 13th month, Vera! :)