04 March 2009

Going For Surgery

Vera is scheduled for a g-tube button and a fundoplication surgery next week. I’ve heard from other T18 moms that their kids were happier after getting a g-tube. I can imagine, no more something stuck in your nose and throat all the time, no more itchy plasters and face rash, no more tube insertion discomfort. So I was really keen to get her the button. That was a few months ago.

Now, the fact that the surgery is looming so near (it’s Next Week!), I’m getting that not-prepared-for-the-exams feeling. The fear has started to creep in. She has to be intubated as the surgery has to be done under GA. What this means simply is that she will be knocked out and a tube will be put down her throat to force air in to keep her breathing. There have been T18 babies who have had complications with extubation – meaning they fail to get back to breathing on their own after the tube has been taken out. Some have also had adverse reactions to morphine, a painkiller administered after the surgery.

Every time I look at Vera, smiling so blithely at me, I feel guilty, because I know there’s something painful in store for her, but she doesn’t. She doesn’t have a clue what she’s in for. And because there’s no way she’ll know, there’s no way she can be prepared for it.

I’m trying hard to focus on the positives. Vera will no longer have to scratch at the itchy patch on her face. She’ll look much better in pictures. People won’t stare at her and asked ‘What’s that green thing?’ We’re also getting her lateral cleft closed up at the same time. So when it’s healed, we’ll get to see a nice big perfect smile. Not that I’ve ever minded the way her mouth looks, you get used to it, but more to so that liquids won’t flow out so easily when we feed her.

Connie says it helps if you tell them what’s gonna happen before it happens. Like tell her her tummy is gonna hurt a little. So is her mouth. So is her throat. That it’ll be bright and cold. That she'll have needles poked into her. But she’s gonna be ok. She just has to be a good, strong girl and breathe, breathe hard once she’s extubated. And keep at it no matter what. So much to ask of a little girl.

13 comments:

WaveSurfer said...

I'm sure God will bless Vera through the whole process! ^^

Like what Connie says, it's good to talk to Vera about what's going to happen, and strengthen her will to go through the operation.

Mummy Pauline said...

No harm for you to inform Vera what's the next plan for her. Chinese, especially the elderly believe it helps to prepare & soothe the baby.
Best wishes & be positive ...

Anonymous said...

Mei,

I believe Vera will be fine.
I just know it and feel it from the bottom of my heart. Share with us the actual date of surgery and timing. Will like to keep her in prayer that day.

Anonymous said...

God will bless Vera and Vera the fighter will pull through. She will breathe and breathe hard by herself.

God bless.

connie said...

Let us know the date, please, and I promise to be praying. (I need to figure out this time difference, too.) I know you are afraid, but also know she has proven to be very strong. She is so special to me, May.

Cathy said...

Know that we will be praying for you and your husband, Vera and all whose care she will be placed in during this time.
I guess I missed the post about this or just my crazy mind forgot. I do know that making the decision to do the surgery is so hard. I struggled with this so much before her reimplantation. I didn't so much because of the g-tube for some reason. We didn't have the fundo, but they think she may eventually (not reflux, due to an enormous amount of gas that we can clear up). Please keep us updated.

siongge said...

When Danielle went for her PEG, I teared as I watched the surgical team push her into the operating theatre. I had the same fears too. Then God told me this "Danielle is in there for good, for a better life" I will be praying with you. I asked for God's presence to be with Vera throughout the op, holding her little hand till all fear is gone.

Raising Davis Darlings said...

I will pray that Vera make it through her surgery without any complications. Even though I have a feeling Vera will be just fine.

Anonymous said...

vera is not going to be just fine, but also much better after emerging from the surgery room. have faith in the lord.

Kelly said...

we will be sending warm thoughts vera's way for a quick recovery from surgery. kaiya's never had surgery but she's been put under general anesthesia for tests and my heart breaks a little every time b/c she looks so confused when they poke her with needles. i like the idea of telling them what will happen beforehand. maybe it does nothing for them but it may give mommies a piece of mind :)

tumbleweed in space said...

hey ian and yum, all the more we shd go fly kite this saturday at the barrage! :-) vera will love the breeze..... HUGS Godma B

Anonymous said...

It breaks my heart reading but it breaks your heart even more. Be strong. Vera is a brave & strong lil girl. Don't you worry cos it will be a-okay!! =)

Anonymous said...

Vera will be fine. She is a strong girl.