09 June 2009

Vera 1 Us O

It's been 2 weeks and Vera's still not on the CPAP at night. My initial enthusiasm in getting her onto it waned by the 1st week. The result of rejection! haha. With us so sleep-deprived, the first thing we want do when she falls asleep at 11.30pm, is to sleep ourselves, and disturbing her with the mask just risks waking her up, and we so don't want that!

We've tried a smaller, nasal mask. But even so, it's having something covering her face that gets her flailing her arms vehemently in her sleep. So, yeah, we've chickened out for now, giving in to Vera's adamant refusal of the contraption. Soon, we'll have to return the CPAP machine which was loaned for trial for a month.

So I guess that's the situation for CPAP for now. Vera 1 - Mummy and Daddy 0.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Well, I guess if Vera and Annabel team together they would be a hell of a team. No success here either with the bi-pap. Upon being admitted I asked the pulmonary doctor if we didn't use it what would happen to her heart, I knew of course it would continue to enlarge. But sometimes I feel she will suffocate if I keep on.
Gosh, I wish we lived close and I could help with Vera and maybe you could get a spa day then go home and sleep. Annabel is our for the summer and even though I love her home, I am spoiled to having my daytime to myself. I am not glad that you are struggling but when I read your post I didn't feel like such a failure. I hate that there is pressure to make that work in one month.

Kathy said...

Okay girls this may be a very dumb question but here I go anyway.

You both find the girls get congested and can't clear their respiratory tracts as well as hating the C Pap mask. If their oxygen level were kept up would that help alleviate some of the night time issues?

Probably a nasal canula would not be the most comfortable either. What about an oxygen tent type of thing over their cribs? Just trying to figure out a way to get your sweet daughters (and their mommas!) a good night sleep. I realize that CPAP gives pressurized inhalations but if the girls were breathing in higher oxygen levels I would think that might keep their sats up. Maybe other moms have asked or tried something like this?

Yin May said...

Yeah Cathy, I was feeling the pressure to make it work, then realised I couldn't keep it up every night. Kathy why didn't I think of that before, the oxygen tent? I'd go ask the hospital if that's a possible option. thanks!