10 June 2009

Back Breaking Work

It's been two months now that I've been home with Vera. It's back-breaking work, literally. Because of their low muscle tone, kids like Vera are like 'dead weight' when being carried, so all the weight rests on your spine. My mom has over-strained her spine helping out with all the bending over, carrying and physiotherapy. My back feels it too, it's too used to a life of office work and lack of exercise. This in comparison, is the most exercise I've had on a daily basis!

Some bad habits:
1) Bouncing Vera in my arms sitting on the bed like a 'yao lan' to get her to sleep.
2) Bending over during diaper change with back curved.
3) Hunching while carrying Vera

Now, I try to do these:
1) Vera on floor: Carry her pressed to my body first, then standing up with back straight.
2) Vera in cot: Bend over during diaper change keeping back straight.
3) Less bouncing
4) See a chiropractor!

Hopefully, Vera gets more tone in her back muscles. So we can give ours a break.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh how I feel your pain. I have pounded my body on tennis courts for years and never felt the pain I feel now. You are right, it is that dead weight. Thanks for the tips, I will try some of these.

Serene Ho said...

Do take care of your back. Perhaps you might consider sitting on a stool when you are changing Vera's diaper while she's in the cot with the gate down. To strengthen your back, lie flat on your bed or mat, then slowly raise your body by pushing with your arms or go on your hands and knees then raise your legs one a time . My niece (who was trained in PE) taught me that. Hope this helps!