22 June 2009

It's Scoliosis Alright

The X-ray says it all. Vera's does have Scoliosis and it's worse than I thought it would be. Her curvature is 18 degrees. The pediatric surgeon said they'll likely recommend a brace when it's between 20-25 degrees. As for now, all we can do is "monitor".

Now, this word "monitor". Do you know how a parent reads it? It like saying 'sit back and wait and watch it get worse'. Is there anything we can do to stop it from getting worse? "No, there isn't. All you can do now is monitor."

Seeing Vera's insides up close for the first time brought me face to face with the workings of Trisomy 18 once again. This genetic condition has given my baby an imperfect spine from birth. And there was nothing I could do about it. Somehow, this hit me pretty hard. Maybe because I have spinal misalignment issues myself, and know the effect it can have on my breathing and the aches and pains I sometimes feel. Oh, she's just a baby!

It will take some time (it'll happen don't worry) for me to accept the stark reality of her spinal condition.

11 comments: