20 November 2008

Why Is She Still Here?

This was the thought running through my head on the way to work today.

Why is Vera still here? Why is she getting better by the day? Why hasn't she had any apnea spells? Any seizures? Why is she responding to our attempts in feeding therapy? Why is she seeming to be part of the 10% and not the 90% of the statistics?

I can't speak for others, but I believe she's still here because I haven't learnt all the lessons I have to learn from her. But in these 9 months, she's already taught me tonnes. So much that I haven't actually got time to put them into practice.

She's taught me about compassion for others less able.

Before, I'd walk past people begging in the streets, usually out of some physical disability. Today, I do not hesitate to put a penny in the tin.

She's taught me about not holding grudges.

Ian and I differ at times on her care, but in the end we always let it slide, (he uses humour most effectively in dealing with me), because we know our focus is on her, not us.

She's taught me about the power of love.

That nothing is more endearing that hearing the "conversations" Daddy has with Vera. That love can make a man change the very way he speaks. Ian used to speak pretty soft and without much varying of tone. Ha, now check out the sing-song highs and lows! Porky Vera (as he calls her) responds sometimes with grunts and sighs.

But what's really heart-warming is seeing the effect she's had on my Grandmother. I've NEVER heard granny laugh. Nowadays, it's a common affair when she stays over. Vera has brought simple joy to her. I love the sound of her grand old dame laughter. She actually sounds younger.

Vera has a lot more lessons for me I'm sure. Will share them in time to come.

2 comments:

connie said...

She sounds like a bundle of pure joy. A gift whose worth cannot be measured. Ever. I am so happy for you, May.

Mrs. Mother said...

What a sweet, sweet baby. We lost our baby to Trisomy 18 at 21 weeks gestation in August. I hope Vera continues to do well.