18 November 2008

Sleep Woes

Vera is a night bird. We've all heard of babies that sleep at 8pm, wake up in the night for a quick feed and go back to bed and then rise early at 7am.

Why can't she do that? The girl sleeps at 6pm, wakes up at 9pm (when other babies are drifting off to dream land) and sometimes sleeps at 2am! The average sleep time is 12 midnight.

Mommy can't outlast her, so daddy takes over. But the little girl is pretty smart: "Hey, this is not the same ROCKER!!! I'm gonna fuss until I get my regular rocker!!!" Mommy has no choice but to wake up (extremely grumpy) to do the honours.

Last night, for the 3rd time only on record, she slept at 8pm! Our joy was shortlived. She woke at 2am then kept Daddy awake till 5am, before groggy Mommy had to wake up to be the rocker.

Zzzz...Starbuck coffee has been getting a lot of my business lately.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I am sorry for the lack of sleep. I am a bear when I don't sleep. We did that for a while and of course still when she is sick. Annabel doesn't roll over and when she loses her pacifier that there is a moan and I have to get up and fetch it. I promise there will be better nights. When Annabel was older than Vera (when she began only one nap a day) I forbid my children or anyone helping to let her sleep after 5 in the evening. This is so hard when they want to just fall asleep. Praying that things will improve for precious Vera.

connie said...

I used to have a well-trained NICU baby, awake/asleep (whatever she wanted) in the day and deeply asleep at night. Even though we sleep with a dim light on in the room every night so we can check on her breathing, etc. Only now, in the past week, I have a baby who wakes me up at 3 am every night!! And when I finally get her up, looks at me and grins, as if to say, "Oh, hi there!" I am wondering if it was going to the retreat, so she slept in the living room with the TV, etc. Instead of her night-night "music" (white noise machine or heartbeat music). I dunno, but don't do very well AT ALL without sleep!

So when you figure it out, you tell me. I'm talking about buying the battery-operated swing we forgot to buy when she first came home. I just hope she isn't already too big (at 21 lbs)!

Yin May said...

Cathy, Connie,

Thanks for sharing. Seems like this is the kind of 'normal' for our kids! Will try hard to not let her sleep after 5 (you're right very difficult!)

Kelly said...

kaiya is 6 and she still doesn't sleep through the night...doesn't matter if i keep her up or not. she just likes to party. thankfully now that she's older she is content to play on her own in her crib. i still don't know how i functioned on the little sleep i got the first couple years of her life!