02 March 2011

The Home Stretch

We're on the home stretch. And it's been a stretch alright.

Two weeks of mind-numbing diaper-changing and we're still at it.

Two weeks of suctioning and we're still at it.

Two weeks of fighting us and she's still at it.

We're spent and so is she. But I see some smiles today, and it looks like the worst is over. We're likely to discharge tomorrow and continue managing the tail end of the infection at home. (No point staying longer than necessary and risk picking up new bugs.)

I'm grateful for all the help from our loved ones to care for Daen in my absence. Without which we would not have been able to give Vera round-the-clock attention.

With a young child on a biPAP who can't speak for herself, it is just impossible to leave her alone in hospital. Unless she has one-to-one nursing care (as in PICU), not in an 8-bedder.

It may be tiring but it's still manageable compared to the same episode last year when I was 7 months pregnant. So, I'm not complaining.

I feel like I've been waiting to exhale for the last two weeks. Now that Vera is breathing better, I breathe a lot easier as well.

4 comments:

Susan Oloier said...

May,
I am so glad Vera is being discharged. I hope she continues to improve.

I wanted to share with you--and you don't have to feel compelled to participate--I was just given a Stylish Blogger award and want to pass it on to you! I really love the way you write and appreciate hearing about Vera.
So here are the rules for acceptance of the award: 1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award. 2. Share 7 things about yourself. 3. Award 5 recently discovered great bloggers. 4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award. There is a button that goes with the award. Just go to my website (www.susanoloier.blogspot.com) and copy the address for the image on my award post. Thanks for sharing your beautiful girl with all of us. Susan

Serene Ho said...

Happy to know she's discharged from hospital. Being home certainly helps the recovery process and everyone gets good rest. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! Take care and I hope everyone manages to catch up on some sleep soon.

Cathy said...

Praying you home...