02 March 2011

The Home Stretch

We're on the home stretch. And it's been a stretch alright.

Two weeks of mind-numbing diaper-changing and we're still at it.

Two weeks of suctioning and we're still at it.

Two weeks of fighting us and she's still at it.

We're spent and so is she. But I see some smiles today, and it looks like the worst is over. We're likely to discharge tomorrow and continue managing the tail end of the infection at home. (No point staying longer than necessary and risk picking up new bugs.)

I'm grateful for all the help from our loved ones to care for Daen in my absence. Without which we would not have been able to give Vera round-the-clock attention.

With a young child on a biPAP who can't speak for herself, it is just impossible to leave her alone in hospital. Unless she has one-to-one nursing care (as in PICU), not in an 8-bedder.

It may be tiring but it's still manageable compared to the same episode last year when I was 7 months pregnant. So, I'm not complaining.

I feel like I've been waiting to exhale for the last two weeks. Now that Vera is breathing better, I breathe a lot easier as well.

4 comments: