13 October 2009

Chewing Gums

As part of the long journey towards getting Vera to eat orally, we have to improve her jaw movement by getting her to bite and chew on oral therapy tools.

She'd never been introduced to a pacifier since birth, since there was always a feeding tube in her mouth. But I bought this GumdropTM pacifier from the States (recommended by a Tri18 mom thank you!) and it's turned out to be great for therapy. It is translucent and is the only pacifier I know with a hole that allows you to view tongue and jaw movement.

At first, Vera refused it and kept gagging. Then, I thought, 'Hmmm...since she likes to chew on her finger, maybe if I put her finger in it, I could trick her into thinking it's her finger she's chewing!'

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi May, where did you get that pacifier from? I would like to buy for my daugther too.

lienlim@live.com

Yin May said...

hi lien,

i bought it at the online store of hawaii medical...just click the link in the blog post. you may want to get the premie size cos our kids jaws are small.

aunt Jacq said...

Momi May.... you are so creative. Well done!! Both of you are enjoying the therapy or rather fun play!

Serene Ho said...

What a clever move! Good job May!

Anonymous said...

shes so cute chewing away....hugs!