25 September 2009

Stoma Care

Thank goodness for home care nurses.

Vera's stoma area had been slightly inflamed for nearly a month. It itches and she keeps scratching at it. We tried everything. Changing gauze regularly to keep the area dry, applying the supposedly 'magic powder' Stomahesive...all to no avail.

It should have occurred to me to call her home care nurse Sister Rachel earlier. She offered some cream for the area - Baneocin - and I must say, THIS is the magic cream. In one day, the redness has subsided to a dull pink.

Thank you, Sister Rachel!

P.S. Vera's GI doc was on Medical Leave so we saw a stand-in. He commented that he was very impressed with my medical knowledge - of stoma care, usage of medical terms. Hmmm...do doctors not expect parents to be actively involved in their children's care? Anyway, I replied matter-of-factly: "My daughter has Trisomy 18. I HAVE to know everything."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip May. Her son's stoma is constantly red. Will let my friend know about this cream.
Serene

aunt Jacq said...

Well said May!

Anonymous said...

I once had a doctor compliment me on my knowledge of the medical term for the bone in the forearm. Guess some of them think they've cornered the market in general knowledge.

Jean

Anonymous said...

i was laughing out loud and i juz had to comment on tis post. throughout the 5 years, i've had countless docs (esp junior ones and MOs) look at me in amazement at how i administer self-medication exactly how they would, and also our knowledge of rac's conditions and care, or even hospital procedures. we can hv lengthy discussions w the senior docs and also know wat qns to ask, which to them is seldom heard of. some even ask me if i was a nurse before. i juz look them in the eye and say "i've been around for 5 years, tats why". ha! rae

PreciousBaby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Juan M. Reddish said...

Nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic on stoma powder