04 September 2009

Her Heart is OK

Vera has many doctor's appointments.

But the one that I approach with anticipation is always the one with her cardiologist. After all, the heart is her engine room.

Which is why I was relieved to hear from the very experienced pediatric cardiologist Dr W at KKH that Vera's heart is okay.

There were some abnormalities detected though - the 'door' letting blood flow from the heart to the rest of the body had 2 'flaps' instead of the normal 3; plus, there was a tiny hole at the top of her heart (gasp) - BUT (thank goodness for buts) they were not causing any problems at this time. Dr W, however did add that "whether it would later on, we don't know". Well, with Trisomy 18, you get used to living with deviations and disclaimers.

I'll take it.

During the echocardiogram, I stared at the monitor in awe at Vera's beating heart. Drumstick-like flaps danced in perfect synchrony with one another, like pistons in a car. No one there had any idea how precious each beat was to me.

Beat on, little heart!

5 comments:

Susan Oloier said...

May,

Zane has the bicuspid valve, too. He had some small holes, but they've closed.

I am glad that you have good news about Vera.

Again, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the way you write!!!

Susan

Cathy said...

I am so happy for the good visit with the dr. Thank you for keeping us posted.

Ann Thomas said...

Hi, I got to know you from the MummySg forum, and wow I admire your courage and your daughter's will power. Truly amazing, while it brought back memories of my son, it also gave me hope and courage.

Am greatly blessed by your writings, thank you.

Ann

Anonymous said...

That is fabulous news May. Good medical news seems to come so seldom for these kids and this is great!

Barb
Annie's mom

Anonymous said...

That's great news, May. Zoe is under Dr W's care too. Once you get over his gruffness, he's a great doctor. :)

Jean