05 January 2009

A Hard Day's Night

Just 4 days into the new year, and Vera is more sick than ever. This time, Mr Mucous is Mr Running Tap and he's brought with him Cousin Cough and Fever Friend. Vera is no match for them. We looked at her and knew, 'it's gonna be a bad night'. Ian and I were up practically the whole night, suctioning snot, turning her, feeding her, rocking her back to sleep, suctioning snot, zzz, suctioning snot, zzz, suctioning... I try to remind myself that she was the one in discomfort, not being able to breathe and sleep, while I just have to deal with lack of sleep. We've made the call to give her antibiotics, Augmentin, although we know it can be a bit strong for little stomachs. Well, we'll have to take our chances. Tonight is gonna be bad too I dare say. Afterall, she has to get worse before getting better. Fingers crossed, the Superbugs will take a hike and I'll get my happy little girl back.

5 comments:

Dot said...

I hope she does feel better. Take care.

connie said...

Oh, hey. I haven't gotten caught up with you. Guess what antibiotic Mal is on, now??? Funny, huh? She went home from the hospital on the same thing as Vera is getting.

Lots of diarrhea. We are giving extra fluids, and a little rice cereal added to her milk to TRY to slow down the rate that things leave her system. But I think it's a losing battle.

I hope Vera gets better soon!!! I wonder if RSV has made its way across the globe, and we're all just dealing with the same snotty-coughy-struggle-to-breathe illness.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that Vera is not feeling well. Boy, do we know about those sleepless nights, sucking out the nose. You make a good point that she is the one who is sick; I will keep that in mind next time Zane has a sleepless night.

Thinking of all of you and hoping Vera gets better very soon.

Susan
(Zane's mom)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember those Hard Day's Night...

Oh sorry to hear Vera is down again. I hope my little Angel is feeling better today.

Just a tip to share: Antibiotics do give them watery stools.... What I gave Isabelle that helped was rice water. (Boil the rice to make porridge and just give the water, that helped Bel). If it's too thick it may be hard to go down NG tube... could dilute with some water.

Will keep praying.

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of Cathy and Annabel's and just logged on to your sight. Thank you for the post, the beauty of your spirit shines like a beacon. Your daughter is so precious, I love her hair, it is always so well styled.

Edie