26 June 2008

Singing Again

Little Vera has brought song into my life again.

Somehow, along the way, I had stopped singing. It used to be so part of my DNA - I'd sing in the bathroom, in school, in competitions, in musicals...then the passion sort of waned with working life, married life.

Now, I have reason to sing again. Because little Vera likes it. She cocks her ear to the side where she can hear. I'd place her on my lap and start a melody of songs - children songs, 'made up' songs and some I've composed just for her, like "Good morning Vera".

Seeing her happy and calm is incentive enough for me to keep singing. I know that this is the best way I can possibly communicate with her now - through sound and voice, given her poor vision.

To lend a slice of Elton John's refrain:

"You can tell everybody, this is your song
It may be quite simple but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind, that I put down in words
How wonderful life is, when you're in the world."

0 comments: