29 November 2011

I Don't Understand


It baffles me.

I don't understand why Vera is still here. I don't understand why she is so happy every day. I don't understand why she is doing as well as she is. I don't understand why she is showing improvement far beyond what's expected of her. I don't understand why she's been born with such a dreaded condition, only to be spared the worst of it.

As many of my friends' grapple with serious lung and heart conditions and loss of their Triers, all the more I ask: "What have we done to deserve Vera?" "What have we done to deserve the relatively smooth ride thus far?"

The humbling answer is: "Nothing."

Which makes it even harder to understand. 

But it is through the un-understandable, that we learn that not all of life is knowable.

And the best thing to do is simply accept the mystery of grace. And be thankful big time.


2 comments:

Serene Ho said...

Is this one of the latest picture of Vera? I'm surprise she still can wear the tshirt :)

Glad to read that all is well. Yes...freelance is better as it gives you more time.

Yin May said...

Yes, she doesn't grow very fast so still can wear.