28 November 2011

The Decision to Freelance

I have been thinking about whether I should get a full-time job.

The obvious perks: Paid leave, medical insurance, employer-paid retirement savings, and steady income.

But there's always a nagging worry at the back of my mind. What if Vera falls sick? Will I be able to just take off at a moments' notice? Knowing that with her, a bout of illness is a 2 week affair. And because we've committed to round-the-clock personal care for her whenever she's at the hospital, I'll have a shift to do.

Also by working full-time, will I get to spend enough time with Vera?

It becomes clear to me that I have to freelance.

It means that I can decide whether to take up a project. If I prefer to spend time with Vera or bring her to the doctor's, I can choose not to take up any. If she falls sick, I can stop work immediately.

It seems to make sense.

I am so thankful that I have a job that allows me to freelance.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest May,
I agree that it is a very good arrangement. Not to mention - you're an immensely talented wordsmith.
:) Kay