03 June 2010

Retail Therapy

I went on a shopping spree today.

Checklist:
1) Omeprazole
2) Pediasure
3) Bard button
4) Feeding Tube

While women my age are out in full force grabbing the best buys on shoes, clothes, jewellery and the such at the Great Singapore Sale, I get my retail therapy from buying medical supplies.

Over the last 2 years, I've become quite a 'pharmanista'. I know where the best deal is - for non-sterile gauze and oral swabs. Where 50ml and 10ml syringes are cheaper - not necessarily at the same shop. How to get a discount with a er...borrowed privileged card (worked for a while, till they became more viligant). I'd walk down the aisle and names of medical items roll off my tongue - Duoderm, Tegaderm, Durapore, Micropore, Hyperfix etc. Just like how you would go "Gucci, Prada, Dolce & Gabbana" as you walk down a mall.

The amounts I fork out are not small. The Omeprazole at $82 felt like buying a nice pair of Levi's jeans. The ever-elusive BARD button at $227, felt like a pair of sturdy, long-wearing Camper shoes.

When you're a mother, shopping for your kids becomes just as satisfying as shopping for yourself. Perhaps more so.

4 comments:

Annie said...

You are a great mom May!!!

Brenda said...

LOL...yes, yes and yes. Oh how I wish I were close enough to really know you and your family. Maybe one day I will make it over to your part of the world. Big hugs to everyone.

Serene Ho said...

haha! I like the way you say it. It's true isn't it? Our shopping list is always supplies for our kids. I just spend a $80 for 4 packs of MamiPoko diapers this morning! Cheaper the better! hahaha.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Yin May,
I am just so elated to speak to you this afternoon. I will certainly be in touch via this blog alot more! And...yay...soon I will also be able to help you with that giant brown box of Pediasure. Cool. Hugs to dearest sweet Vera, and little boy-boy Daen.
See u real soon.
Kay