29 August 2018

Launching An Original Song Soon

During the music video shoot for Love Is Not Rare song. Photo by Isabelle Lim
When you reach mid-life and have not yet done that thing that is your passion, that thing that is such a big part of who you are from the start, you can resort to unexpected measures.

Like quitting a really good job with great bosses, great colleagues at a good company. 

Double hospitalisations of the kids last year triggered the move. Against all logic, I felt I needed to take a career break. I'd been juggling work and Vera's hospitalisations, keeping both balls in the air for the last 6 years. 

I knew what I was going to do. Get my songs out. Starting with the ones inspired by Vera's journey. But I wanted to release them in a meaningful way. Using them to raise awareness for some cause. Because a song is bigger than its songwriter.

I decided to start with Love Is Not Rare. I had been inspired by Vera and some parents and children I'd got to know through Rare Disorders Society Singapore. 'Love Is Not Rare' is their tagline. I was touched by what they were doing for their medically fragile child at home - far more intensive care than what I had to perform for Vera.

Great team on the job - checking out the shots with Shane and Brandon of Back Button Media. Photo by Isabelle Lim

Through Kenneth, the Executive Director of the society, I got to know Patrick Chng, who heartily agreed to help arrange and produce the song. Then through a parent in RDSS, we got to know a video production company we wanted to work with. And dear cousin Isabelle offered to help me with all the photography needed. Even not being able to hear the singing and music cues does not stop her from shooting a music video. 

Cousin Isabelle doing what she does best - capturing the best moments.
Aunt Jacqueline with her infectious cheer trying to get me to relax...I'm too tense!

And so the heavens heard and things fell into place. 

This song isn't just about myself and Vera. It's about the journey that all caregivers of medically fragile children live through, on a daily basis. It is about a love that is filled with simple joys, but also hurdles, heartache and pain. 

8 months this project has taken to fruition. I'm so thankful for all the people who made it possible, and the support from Ian that allows me to realise this passion project while he holds up the fort. And to my parents who step in to help out whenever I ask. 

Am looking forward to sharing the music video soon. 

0 comments: