27 August 2009

Day Out

Today, for the first time, I dared to take time out, leaving Vera solely to my new helper and my old grandma.

What did I do? What the typical Singaporean woman does - head for some retail therapy at Orchard Road.

It seemed like such a luxury just to be in town - to not be working on a weekday, and to have someone trained to do the works - feeding, bathing, rocking Vera to sleep.

I saw many "tai tais" - well-heeled, well-dressed, well-made up middle-aged women of leisure at a Bobbi Brown make-up workshop. I thought to myself, they must be so free. It seemed like looking good was probably what occupied them on a daily basis.

Unlike them, I was dowdily dressed in yoga pants and broad brown sandals, my hair flat and bodiless...hardly the do for strutting down the famed shopping street. I had "Stay-Home Mom" written all over me!

Years ago, I would have been aghast at my own sloppiness. But motherhood changes your self-image. When there's so much else on your plate, what people think of the way you dress just falls to the bottom of the pile.

Nonetheless, anyone out there keen to sponsor a make-over for this frumpy mom?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally relate! I don't even wear makeup anymore. If I were in Singapore, we could go get a makeover together. I'm in much need of one! Luckily, like you, I don't have time to care what other people think. The best, and most important, part about it. . .Vera loves you just the way you are!

Susan Oloier said...

May, I love the way you write. While I have never been to Singapore, I could totally picture your day out.

It's nice that you had some time away. I don't think I would like it for too long if my only concern for the day was how I looked. I suspect you wouldn't either. After all, you have wonderful Vera!

Brenda said...

You know May, there comes a time when we are who we are....yoga pants and all. There was a time when I wouldn't take the trash out to the street without makeup....yeah, funny huh. Now, if I brush my teeth before taking it out......Hope you found some good deals shopping!!

Serene Ho said...

Great venture! Good to know you can leave home for a while and it's good for you too! No worries...if you think you look frumpy...you can't beat me to it! haha!

Joanna Tan said...

After I had my baby, I really didn't bother about my outlook that much anymore. I can just go out wearing anything. Hair in a mess sometimes!
I just started work on Sat after a 7 and a half months break. Really miss my Baby. Really envy and admire your decision to stay at home with Vera. Hope I'll get the courage to do the same.

Mummy Pauline said...

Hi May,

I am going to S'pore for a short working trip tomorrow. Can u sms me your address & contact no. ? Hope to visit Vera if time permit.

Pauline Ting (+60123200922)