10 October 2010

Deep Suctioning

Vera was hospitalised recently.

Why?

Mainly because I didn't know how to get the phlegm out from her throat. She refused to open her mouth.

I thought the nurses would have better luck.

Also, it's just easier to walk away and spare myself from hearing Vera kicking and crying, then return to comfort her when the job's done.

One time I watched: They struggled with her jaw-clenching too.

So I thought of a solution: Let her bite on a rubbery baby spoon like a spanner - it would leave a gap just wide enough for the catheter to go through.

Also, I realised that I would just have to learn this "deep suctioning" that the nurses do. We can't be spending good money admitting her just for "suctioning service" every time she has a bout of increased secretions.

In my life, I've had to do things I didn't like doing. Like go for piano exams, get a wisdom tooth pulled, drink ginseng. Yeah, trivial stuff right. Most of the time, I do stuff I like to do.

Now, I find myself doing something I absolutely find no pleasure in, up to 3 times a day. Seeing Vera look in fear at the catheter she's already learnt to recognise. Seeing her cough even before I start as she knows what is coming. Switching from 'mummy mode' to 'nurse mode' so that I can get the job done effectively.

After every session, I know I've helped Vera to breathe easier and feel less congested. It feels good to see all that yucky phlegm come out. But I am worn and weary from the effort.

It's not easy to work like a nurse when you feel as a mother.

Sigh. What we have to do to love a child.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I just had to catch up on your last 3 post. I am so sorry she needs surgery but so glad you have answers. Please keep us posted as to how she is doing. If Annabel's tonsils or adenoids were her issue I would do it to relieve her. You are a smart mom and praying for relief for her. I have been taught, like a zillion times to deep suction and still can't do it right. I think fear keeps me from doing what I know can help her. I try...but so scared to go far.

karen :) said...

Hi there,

Came across your blog by chance and enjoys reading it. Was admiring the brave and strong mummy in this blog before i realised that it's you, my fren, May.

Hang in there and be strong.

Cheers,
Karen Ng (TJC; class 19'92)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

A friend of yours sent me your blog. You are truly an amazing mother and you are an inspiration to me. What you are doing for your little girl is why God made mothers to begin with.

My son has ASD and we're also trying to help him bit by bit. I like to take comfort in knowing that God would not give me a challenge without also giving me the strength to deal with it. You are Vera's greatest advocate and I'm sure she loves you with all her being.

God bless you and your family with love and peace everyday :)

With love, Stephanie (TJ'97)