05 October 2010

Hospital Staff

Doctors are a hardworking bunch. So are nurses.

They work shifts. (I for one cannot bear the thought of working shifts. It messes up the body clock.)

They work weekends. (Weekends are for rest, for play, no?)

They work long hours. (My jaw dropped the first time I heard that ICU nurses worked 12 hours at a stretch.)

They are prepared to be recalled for critical cases. (Imagine being interrupted in the middle of your rest day with a 'back-to-work' call.

For the above reasons, I conclude that you must really really want to be doctor or nurse. This ain't some 'close-eyes-and-get-by' kinda job.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I know I left you a comment...is this not working?

Anonymous said...

Ya, I know what you mean. Recently, as part of my job, I interviewed some nurses to understand their work routines. They really work very hard! But you can feel that they are passionate about their jobs. There is an inherent satisfaction with helping people which they draw from. Kudos to them!

Veron said...

thanks May. I am a nurse, and a mother of a 17mth-old tod. It sure is tough, juggling shift-work and a baby. Having to work night shifts when the rest of the world is sleeping. Kinda gets to me sometimes, and then I wonder "You can always go back to work, but not to their childhood" it makes me wanna quit.