05 October 2010

URTI No.2

Urti.

It's short for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.

Vera is in hospital right now nursing one. Her 2nd one this year. (Okay, my bad for speaking too soon about her relative wellness.)

We know what to expect now - suctioning and more suctioning basically. All that gunk just has to get out before she can get out of hospital.

But this time, I'm determined to gain some headway with her sleeping difficulties.

Her caregiver Beth has been waking up every night for the last 4 months.

On a good night she tosses and turns fitfully. The mask shifts and covers her nostrils. (By the light of a lamp, Beth strains to check that it is in place again.

On a bad night, the airway blockage gets so bad she is rudely awakened, howling with sleep deprivation. She stays awake from 3-6am. Then knocks out thereafter till 10am.

I tried helping Beth out one night - staying awake affecting my entire system. My brain was a blur the next day.

So, I'm pinning my hopes on the good doctors at NUH to offer us some options.

She may be given Melatonin (as you mentioned Cathy, am I right?) She will be trying on some new mask that will fit her growing face. She's also having ENT take a look, and we'll see if removing her adenoids surgically is a possible way to go.

2 comments:

Serene Ho said...

May, I was thinking maybe you might want to try Karihome Goat Milk to reduce the secretion that may be caused by Pediasure. As I've mentioned before that's what happened to Jonathan. I can help you get really cheap if you want to try this out. I hope Vera heals real quick and hope you all have some sleep-eye soon. Hugs and prayers go your way :)

Cathy said...

Yes Melatonin is just a natural product. Our bodies all produce it but sometimes not enough. It sure works for Bella for over 1 yr. now. It is great. Of course if she is ill she will still wake but goes right back to sleep. Annabel is still not sleeping with CPAP. Just won't work without pumping so much air in her tummy. She sleeps with 2 liters oxygen nightly.
I sure hope Vera gets better. It is sure not fun when they are sick. I am grateful for the drs. who tirelessly give of themselves. Please keep us posted.