09 February 2010

Still Having The Runs

Something is not right with Vera's digestive tract.

It's been 2 weeks since we've returned from the hospital, yet the diarrhoea hasn't stopped.

Each time she coughs or sneezes, watery poo shoots out like a water gun. It happens after some feeds too.

We haven't changed the milk, nor the amount. Anti-diarrhoea meds like Smecta and good bacteria Lacteol Fort have no effect. Fresh rash is creeping back onto her already scarred bum.

I am at a loss for what to do. We're seeing her doc in 2 days. Hopefully, we can schedule a GI check.

5 comments:

Serene Ho said...

May, I believe milk is the cause. Possible for you to stop the milk for a while? What I do when Jon's got tummy upset is to boil porridge and give him the porridge water while it's warm. Always works for him. Sometimes I just add one scoop of milk powder and when his tummy gets better, I'll increase it. If you are afraid that she won't get enough nutrition, you can try Isomil. The soy milk powder. That can also help. Hope Vera gets better soon!

Kathy said...

So sorry to hear! May, was Vera on lots of antibiotics while hospitalized? Could she possibly need some pro-biotics to replenish some of the good "bugs". Just a thought. Praying she gets well soon!

Yin May said...

Thanks Serene. Yes I've decided to stop the milk and just give rice water. Will kiv Isomil too. see what doc says tomorrow.

Yin May said...

Yes Kathy, very strong anti biotics and for many days. I think her stomach lining must be really damaged! sigh, everything has its side effects.

aunt Jacq said...

When I read this... my first thought was the length of anti-biotics she took. Isabelle had this and also the sore bum when she was put thru 3weeks of the anti-biotics... Rice water did help. My old paeditrician said the Pediasure shouln't make diarrhoea any worst. Give lesser milk powder. Depends on individual i guess.

You take care YM. Love to Vera