14 October 2009

Night Mission

Just to recap, here we are, 6 months since Vera's sleep study with no CPAP and a severe Obstructive sleep apnea diagnosis. We paid a visit to her respiratory doctor yesterday and she didn't push on the CPAP either, hearing how difficult it was to get Vera on it.

Instead she sent us home with an oximeter. Over the next 3 nights, we are supposed to monitor Vera's oxygen saturation and heart rate. If levels are found to be in an acceptable range, we'll leave things be, if not, we may have to give Vera oxygen at night.

During the sleep study, I remember seeing O2 levels in the 60s. Her lowest was found to be 52. It's 4am on this first night and we're seeing levels in their 90s! I can't believe my eyes. Is the monitor faulty? Is she just having a good night? How is it possible? I'm waiting expectantly for it to fall.

Good old Ian has done his shift from 11pm - 3am and gone to bed. Mummy's turn to stay up...

4 comments:

Jasmine said...

Hi May, How are you? I hope you and your family are doing well! Not sure if you remember me, I am Jasmine, my babies were borned very tiny at 25th weeks, remember? Anyway, I have been watching your updates every now and then, great to know that you are pregnant! Congrats!!!!
Actually not soon after we emailed each other, my baby Xavier got readmitted again to NUH, and came home with oxygen support for more than one month....Pulse oximeter was something i couldnt stop watching at, hahaa...The numbers affected my mood greatly during the days of weaning off.. Arent 90s make you esctatic? hehee....All the best for Little Vera, your family and your little one in your tummy!Take care

Anonymous said...

Hi May,

Have faith and confidence in Vera. As Vera grows older, her lungs will get better. She will prove to you she don't need to rely on the CPAP.

Adeline

Cathy said...

I guess here I am negative Nelly! You don't want them too low in the 90's. Ultimatley, they would like them to be 97-100 range. They told us to set Annabel's low on 93. Well it goes off constantly so we had to move it to 90. Still does go off, but since they placed her on oxygen during the nighttime she stays pretty good around 98-100. They oxygen is way better than the c-Pap or Bi-Pap. Except for cathing her I am having great nights know she is sleeping better. Please keep us posted as to how Vera is doing each night. Also praying that you will get much needed rest for you and your baby.

Serene Ho said...

Moving up to around 90s is a good sign. Hope Vera gets better quickly!