16 October 2009

Night No.3

I could stare at it all night.

The oximeter is so hypnotic - the invisible sweeping bar moves left to right, left to right, and you can't help but be transfixed by it.

Watching the numbers change is like watching a 'live' telecast. Vera struggles: the numbers run amok. Vera settles into deep sleep: the number stays pretty constant.

An alarm is supposed to sound off at preset levels. I'm thinking, if I had an oximeter at home, I probably wouldn't get much sleep, given the light sleeper that I am. Or I guess I'll just learn to manage.

Night No.3 and boy am I glad it's only 3 nights. But we have the machine till next Monday so we might just keep it on to monitor for a bit more.

In 3 weeks' time, we'll know if Vera needs to be on oxygen or not.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Yes, you are so right about it being hypnotic. I find myself just staring at it in the hospital. At home I am in a different room. Praying that you get good results so that you can rest. You are sooooo good about updating and keeps our mind from wondering what is happening with sweet Vera.

Serene Ho said...

When Jonathan was younger, he used to have sleep apnea. A friend bought us a respiration monitor. A button is pasted onto the tummy at night while he's sleeping. Whenever the tummy stops moving, the monitor will beep. The beeping sound is supposed to wake the child up to start breathing again. He didn't need oxygen. After a while, he was ok and we didn't need to use the monitor anymore. I wonder if this will help.

Yin May said...

Serene, I didn't know of such a thing. but unlikely Vera will be awakened by sound - more likely me! will check with Vera's doc about it though. Thanks.

mybabybunny said...

I just received Mathias's oxygen machine today....am supposed to use it if he looks like n sounds like he is not breathing right tonight after he starts on his new med..... big chunky thing.... hehe......

Susan Oloier said...

Just wanted to let you know that I've been checking on Vera. It sounds as though her O2 saturation levels are really good. It's always nice to hear good news about our kiddos.

Susan