09 July 2010

Constipation Week


After 3 days of no poo poo, no passing gas, no trying to poo despite papaya juice, prune juice and brown rice water, we brought Vera to the doctor.

She got a suppository and after 10 minutes, she passed out a lump of the precious cargo. It was relatively hard. I've had to push her anus (ouch!) twice this past week to get the rocky gems out, and it caused bleeding around the periphery. The doctor explained that the pain causes her to have an aversion to pushing. And so the loot builds up further. It's a vicious cycle.

Hopefully with Lactulose, things will return to normal in a few days' time. Hoping to get a whiff of her smelly gas soon. You have no idea how much I love poo.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I will be praying that this works for sweet Vera. yes, smelly gas, the scent of the day. Have they ever mentioned that she could have neurogenic bowel? I love the picture thank you and so looks so cute in her outfit.

Serene Ho said...

What a relief! I too feel anxious when our precious ones don't poo. Hope things will turn back to normal soon!

connie said...

I do know exactly how much a girl can love poop. I love it so much. Of course, Mal's been having too much - I wonder sometimes if it's a reaction to one or more of her seizure meds.

We grew to love lactulose. But eventually we found a dose of cod liver oil, and some magnesium/vitamin C powder, plus Activia (a cultured yogurt-like drink ... sort of like kefir) were enough to keep her completely regular.

Unless we get diarrhea. :) Then we can't be called "regular."