04 June 2009

Button Care Part 3

We're into our 3rd month of button care and I must say, I'm very happy that my fears of an oft-bleeding over-granulating stoma have been unfounded. In fact, the granulation (reddish tissue) has shrunk in size, such that we can now actually see the stem of the button.

A lot of work goes into this tiny contraption - copious amounts of tissue and sterile gauze changed over and over after every feed to soak up the leaking milk and greenish discharge. Now that we've gone from 3-hourly feeds to 2-and-a-half-hour feeds, it sometimes seems my day is an endless cycle of feed Vera, change tissue, change gauze. But it's worth it if Vera's granulation stays like this. Many thanks to the kind mother who gave so much gauze to us...this is the happy result!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

May, The only time Annabel seems to have oozing and leaking around her bottom is when we leave it in during the night or while at the hospital continuously. I only feed her 5 oz over about 50 minutes usually while sleeping so there is not much movement. I have been tired and leaving it in the last couple nights and it seems to have oozing. But her granuloma went totally away that she had in April.
I think her buttom looks great. You are so disciplined about taking care of it.
I am so impressed with her rolling off the mattress. She is a mover, and I think it is how much you put into her therapy.

Yin May said...

5 oz (140ml) over 50 mins is a loooong time to wait. We feed 3.5 oz in 10-15 mins cos that's how long Vera will sit still for a feed. Yes, I know it's a bit fast! she gets pretty bloated after feeds.

connie said...

May, we use something called Calmoseptine Ointment and it contains baking soda in it, so it neutralizes stomach acids, and seems to help with the button site. It's got an oil base (ointment) so it stays on to protect the skin a little bit. it was prescribed for diaper rash (which it never helped), but I noticed on the label that g-tube sites was one of the recommended uses. If you can't find it, want me to send you some to try? Our local pedi surgeon also recommends making a paste with crushed antacid tablets - same principle, to neutralize the acid leaking out.

That is quite a bit of leakage, though. Hopefully it will settle down soon. I know some moms - including Cathy - have had help using a tiny bit of kenalog cream or ointment right on the granuloma tissue for just a few applications (it's a steroid - you don't want to use it for long).

Serene Ho said...

You are good job taking care of the button May. Looks very neat. Hope the leaking stops soon. Should be around this time :)

Kathy said...

Love how you mom's share your knowledge.

How is the C-pap going May? Hoping that Vera and you are getting more sleep!!!

Unknown said...

Glad things are going well with the G-tube. Wow, little miss Vera is getting so strong too! I love the pictures of her in the pool and on her boppy. I can;t blame Vera regarding her C-PAP; my mom is 60+ years old and doesn't like her C-pap either!!