20 March 2012

Four Day Week

I've gone from freelancing to a four-day-week full-time job.

In my line of work, where the pace is known to be frenetic, it's sounds almost too good to be true. 

Well, we'll see how it pans out. 

If it works, I'll get the best of both worlds. Steady income for the work which I love doing, and extra time for myself and/or the kids. After all, who hasn't dreamed of working 4 days a week (albeit for lesser pay)? To me, as a mom, it is just right. Enough to give me a sense that I still have somewhat of a career, and not to the point where I feel like I'm shortchanging my kids.

I guess it's a step in the direction of that elusive 'Balance' we all try so hard to achieve.

Of course, it's going to get tough when the kids are sick. But hopefully, given the more flexible working style of a small company, I'll find a way around it (like work from home at times). It's a real plus too, that the office is a 15-minute drive from home.

To be honest, I never thought this day would come. When I quit and became a stay-home mom to care for Vera, I really thought I'd left my career behind for good. And then when Daen came along, adland became even more of a faraway land. 

Three years on, with a good help who loves Vera, and a good childcare for Daen, I can firmly and finally step back into the workforce.

I've always thought I'd make a better mom if I'm working. I've learnt that not every woman is cut out for the extremely trying, no-let-up job of a stay-home mom. Sometimes I think it's a shame, that as modern women, taught since young to focus on our education and careers, we no longer see ourselves as existing simply to birth and mother our children, as how it was a few generations ago.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I hope the flexible schedule works out for you. Sometimes it makes us better moms to get out and then come back energized. Praying it works for you. Give that sweet Vera hugs from Annabel.

Jo said...

So glad you found something that works. The balance is very elusive and I think it will waver depending on the cricumstances. I was on 4 day, then 3 day, then 5 day, and now back to 3 day wk. I still love this one the best, even though the cash flow is the worst :) but time with the family, time for myself, takes precedence, and leads to a saner, happier mom.
One thing I've learnt from motherhood: there should be no guilt or shame in taking time to nurture yourself

danie said...

Hi Yinmay,

Just to let you know that your family is on our minds and we wish you the very best every day!

Congrats on finding your way back to adland. I am on a similar love-hate relationship of sorts with housewifery and motherhood. There's something about work that is fulfilling which I hope to make my way back to one day but at the moment, circumstantially, it's just not possible.

Anyway, am happy for you and hope you enjoy your 4-day-week!

cheers
Danie