30 March 2011

Chicken Pox

The pus-filled blister on her face appeared overnight. We thought it was caused by her mask. But the next day, more rash spots appeared on her back.


We happened to have a planned visit to the pediatrician, and she felt it may be early chicken pox. In normal kids, she would have let them fight the virus without medication. But as Vera's immune system is weak, she gave her anti-viral medication to limit the severity of the outbreak.

We should have given Vera the vaccination at 15months, but again, we dropped the ball and now she's caught it.

As pox is contagious, she may have spread it to Daen, as the incubation period is 3 weeks' prior to the appearance of spots. And yes, they have been playing together and he's been touching her mouth and face.

Vera's now quarantined in her room. Daen will not see his sister in the next 2 weeks. Separating them is the only thing we can do at this point.

Another setback, just when we were planning to get her back to school.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get well soon, Vera!


Adeline

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

Poor Vera! My youngest niece has been having it and was not allowed to see my grandson at the weekend as 8 months isn't really old enough to have it. I hope Vera feels better soon and doesn't itch too badly - the tried and true remedies of bicarbonate of soda in her bath and dabbing the spots with calamine lotion really do help.

Cathy said...

Oh May, where did she become exposed? Was it in the hospital? I am so sorry, but if Daen gets them you will be totally done with them. My first three had them almost together and then my twins got them at the same time. I think Annabel has been vaccinated, I am hoping. Keep us posted as I am praying her case isn't too bad.

Serene Ho said...

I hope her outbreak will be mild and that she recovers quickly. will be praying for her and Daen. I'm a little late but happy 1st birthday to Daen! Hugs from the HO family :)