27 September 2009

News To Share

I've been holding this off for some time now - 3 months actually, but am now more comfortable to share the news.

Vera is going to get a little brother or sister.

I am now 13 weeks pregnant, just into my 2nd trimester.

To be honest, we hadn't planned for another baby anytime soon. But as I have come to realise, things to do with life are often times not up to us mere humans to control or decide upon.

While many are over the moon when they learn that they are pregnant, I am all too aware of what could possibly go wrong. Like it or not, having a previous 'scary' pregnancy diagnosis changes things quite a bit. The mind functions on past experience, and the experience leading up to Vera's birth had been fraught with anxiety and uncertainty.

Unknown to many of you as well, is the 8-week miscarriage that I had beginning of this year. Often, fetuses spontaneously abort because of abnormalities that render it incompatible with life.

So it is with tempered joy that I approach this pregnancy. What mother wouldn't want to be overjoyed? I try to be, but it is hard. Instead, I have adopted a quiet optimism.

This baby has already made it past the first trimester where miscarriages usually happen. It's past 12 weeks. It wants to live. It's a good sign. I tell myself.

The extreme fatigue, grumpiness, nausea, and hunger pangs of the 1st three months have also subsided. So these days, I'm in better spirits and less tired. Plus, my helper has come at the right time to help me with Vera's care. Things are looking up.

Given the history, I will be undergoing an amniocentesis sometime next month. We would know if there are any chromosomal abnormalities.

We would also know if Vera will get a baby brother or sister.

20 comments:

Raising Davis Darlings said...

Congrats on the new pregnancy! Scary, I know, but try to enjoy.

Mrs Redboots (Annabel Smyth) said...

*Hugs*. I can so understand your mixed feelings - I do hope and pray they will find that all is going to be well. Look after yourself!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and Ian!! This is really fantastic news to hear! And I am sure Vera would be overjoyed to know that she will have a playmate soon!

Seow Ying

Anonymous said...

Congrats May! :) Take care and enjoy your pregnancy.. Fransiska

Kelly said...

congrats! what wonderful news. i'm sure vera will be an excellent big sister. be gentle with yourself, it's expected to have mixed emotions i'm sure.

Cathy said...

I am so happy for you and your hubby. Vera gets a sibling!!!I am so happy that you have help so you can focus hopefully on rest and just being there for sweet Vera! I am so happy for you, yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!! Enjoy this pregnancy as much as you can..hopefully there's a good balance between morning sickness/fatigue and enjoying this new little life. Yeah for you,your hubby, and Vera!


Trish

Kathy said...

Such exciting news! Congratulations!!! Very happy for you all!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulation!! Feel happy for you and Ian. I can understand yr feeling. Anyway, Stays positive.



Adeline

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, May! Great news, indeed.

Jean

Hilary said...

Congratulations!! Will be praying for you and your family!:)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on this wonderful news, May.

I am sure that all will be fine.

Barb
Annie's mom

Unknown said...

Congratulations, May! How exciting that Vera will have a baby brother or sister! My prayers will be with you during this new journey.

Susan Oloier said...

Congratulations. Praying for a positive and healthy pregnancy experience for you.

Summer said...

Congratulations ... Really happy for you .. Take care.

Anonymous said...

congrats! so happy for you and vera...do take good care!

msblue

Anonymous said...

hey gal, always with you.....HUGS! glad that you're sharing this news! may all our prayers embrace you and babe-within, and also vera!

tumbleweeed

Wee Sian & May Sian said...

Congrats from Wee Sian and May Sian!! Stay strong and positive and things will turn out just fine... Vera is a living evidence!
We are very happy for both Giant and you!

Anonymous said...

May, Ian, congrats. Everything will be fine...

Cynthia

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Yin May & Ian. This is great news. I am reading your post a little late but so glad to hear the pregnancy is coming along well. Tsui Li