19 September 2009

Buttonmare

Last night, I dreamt that Vera's button came out.

We've been having a couple of days of inflammation around her button site, plus leaking that has started again. Both have been bugging me during the daytime.

So I'm not surprised it manifested in my sleep.

I was holding on to the top of the button and it simply came off. I stared into the stoma hole. And saw the lower mushroom-like part falling in two pieces into a dark bottomless pit.

I called the home care nurse. She told me she had a meeting later and I had to come immediately before it. I called Ian, the phone took ages to dial. I tried and tried and tried. Her next feed is coming up and we need to get it done like right now! I called my folks and they magically appeared from another room. What's the matter? they said. I broke down. Vera's button came off and we are still here! My knees buckled and I sat on the floor in tears.

I woke myself up saying that aloud. It was 9am. (Bad idea, sleeping in late.)

I wonder if other parents have such equipment-malfunction mares.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Hi May, No, I have never dreamt about Bri's button coming out but if I can offer some advice, I would ask Vera's GI doc to show you how to replace it. Very easy and worth it. Bri's insurance provider would pay for a new one every 3 months, so whether we needed it or not, I ordered one every 3 months. And to be honest, I did need to replace it about that time due to leakage. Once I even made a video of me replacing it, very amusing after the fact, I plan on posting it one day, maybe sooner now than later. Life is very hard and sad without the Bri, we continue on one day at a time.

Kelly said...

i have had strange dreams of akaiya's wheelchair disappearing - but that may be more wishful thinking than an "equipment-mare". i don't really know much about tube feeding, but hopefully her site clears up soon. give the princess a squish from us ;)

Serene Ho said...

oh wow...what a dream! Hope you can solve the problem soon. When Jonathan's button leaks, it's usually because I feed him somet thick powdery liquid like the herbs that often blocks the button and the valve can't close properly. I don't know if yours is the same problem. If so, try flushing with some coca cola.