23 November 2016

Respite Admission



Flu bug. Got Daen. Got Vera. Got me. 

That was 2 weeks ago. We were back to 3 hourly suctioning. Even as I was down, we held out at home for as long as we could. 

We were struggling to keep her oxygen requirements above 90%. We had no nebuliser, no oxygen concentrator, no oximeter. 

We have been resistant to turning Vera's room into a hospital set up, but it seemed inevitable. 

Fellow mummy Samantha was a fairy godmother. In a flash, we borrowed a nebuliser and an oximeter from her. 

I lasted 8 days. On Day 9, my body refused to move and I just lay in bed. 

It was time for respite admission. Luckily there was a bed. 

I do not see it as a weakness that I have failed to take care of Vera at home throughout. I do not feel guilty. 

I think no mum dealing with a child with high medical support needs should feel that they should shoulder all the burden of their sick child. Especially if they still had to work.

I'm glad we're a phone call away from our NUH Homecare nurse, who arranged everything. I could get proper rest (finally!) while knowing she's in good hands. 

I knew that a flu cycle is at least 14 days for Vera and that she was already on the mend when she was admitted. 

We should be bringing her home soon. 

0 comments: