15 December 2010

How Do You Do It?

To moms of Trisomy 18 or other special needs child and a younger baby: How do you do it?

I knew it would be tough: but this is pushing my limits.

When Vera is well, it's already a stretch. The bad news is while the adenoid and tonsil surgery has improved her breathing, it hasn't improved her sleeping. She's still awake 4 hours in the middle of the night. Which means someone (Beth) goes sleepless as well. For nights on end.

Now, she is sick.

She spent the whole of last night wailing. Beth has slept all of one hour and is hardly functioning.

We're bracing ourselves for another round of "wailing-suctioning" for the next few nights.

If it's just Vera, and 2 caregivers, it's manageable. One can take the night shift, and sleep in the day. The other the day shift.

With another jumping-scooting-prancing-weaning baby in tow, I find that I am not able to take over Vera in the day.

Anyway, whining aside, I'm thankful for a fully committed caregiver and a hands-on hubby. I am not alone.

The juggling continues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could get someone to watch Daen for a couple of hours, a couple of times a week and get that time with Vera I'm sure you want.
She probably misses you too!

Unknown said...

OK, May, you're scaring me! :) I've got less than 30 days to go, and after today, I'm wondering how I'm going to do it--so I feel for you. Lily had two doctors appointments and one therapy session (in house, at least). Tomorrow, she has one appointment and one therapy session, but I have two appointments. Towing her and Gabriel to these is about to make me into a basket case! Luckily, Dave is almost off for Christmas break. If I can just. . .hold. . .on. . .
I don't know how you do it. You are obviously strong-willed, and your love for both Vera and Daen will allow you to continue. I'm just glad you have help! Wish there were more of us around to do some type of babysitting co-op group and give us all a much-needed break.

Cathy said...

I am praying for ya'll. Vera is lucky to have her caregiver and that you like her. Your cup is so full with a small one. I hope vera isn't getting ill.
I ask my pediatrician about the medicine label you sent me and she said it is same thing Annabel is on but hers is inhaled. We don't like it because it smells like rotten eggs. I am going to google for myself and see.
Keep us posted, in all your spare time,,,ha!