10 August 2010

Propped Up


Thanks Serene, for the tip on propping up.

This is giving her some relief from her reflux/apnea/congestion, but it is a temporary solution.

By morning, the girl has torn through the plastered barricades.


The doctors can't yet figure out why she's unable to sleep, but I can't wait any longer for answers. I need to find a solution for Vera myself.

This is what I found after trawling the web: The Comfy Lift Bed™.


It seems to be the answer to my prayers. Reading the testimonial of the parents, it seems like we are not alone in dealing with sleepless reflux/apnea kids and there is hope.

It's made specially for toddlers up to 5 years old (for Vera that will be till she's 8-9) when baby wedges are too small.

Again, it's available only in the US (made by a man who had reflux himself and started a company making reflux sleeping beds in Texas) and it's quite pricey.

But this could be the long term solution to Vera's sleeping woes.

5 comments:

Serene Ho said...

I customized some cushion seats, one as big as 2.5m X 1m X 1m (height) and placed it in Jonathan's room to prevent him from rolling into another part of his room. He's room, according to his friends, is like a soft play room. anyway, what I want to say is you can call the upholstery company to customize the cushion bed for you. I just recently cleared all my files and I accidentally threw away the contact. but I can check with my friend to see if she still has it. They are very nice to customise for me and delivered. The big one cost me about $200. Will keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

my baby is very mobile. when she outgrew her cot (at 8mos), we had to get a toddler bed for her. we tried all sorts of methods to keep her safe, some of the things we did:
1] i sewed ribbons onto the pillow covers and used the ribbons to secure the pillows onto the side. in this way, it is much more secure and will not move around at night .
2] we found a slim but long pillow at Giant just a week ago. it was the perfect barricade for her bed which had no guard rails at both sides. it maybe too long for the cot but you can fold it into a L-shape. it will provide enough support and protection for little vera. the "full body hugging pillow" is from novelle and is sold at Giant for $25~.

connie said...

I have seen that reflux bed before and wanted it, too ... but I've also seen in real-life something that a young mom made for her own daughter. She took an extra thick foam mattress, and a razor blade and cut it to make her own wedge exactly as she wanted it for her daughter. She is so creative, and I am so OCD ... I can't imagine not ruining it with a razor blade! I keep thinking I need to ask her if I can pay her to cut one for us.

I love the look of Vera's cpap mask ... and also the "cap" to hold it on. The one we have is definitely too small for Mallorie's head, but they don't seem to make another one larger ... at least that was what we were told. What company made the blue cap? I'll have to send you a pic of ours.

I hope you are doing well.

jillian said...

Wow that bed looks like it could solve Ally's apnea/reflux problem as well. Ironically, she just got discharged from her gastro doc only to have her reflux come back. Thanks for sharing May, hope you'll find a solution for Vera soon. Take care

Anonymous said...

Yay!! Vera, you're getting your new bed very soon!!!
:) Auntie Kay