02 November 2009

Gotta Have Oxygen

So there. Vera's gotta have oxygen via a nasal prong when she sleeps. Mommy's a little disappointed to hear that the oximeter study reported regular bouts of desaturation through the night to the lowest of 68. So much for staying up and looking at numbers in the golden nineties.

CPAP is more effective in dealing with the obstructive apnea, whereas giving oxygen does just that, it doesn't clear the obstruction. But no choice, Vera doesn't want the mask. Smart girl. I'd go for the nasal prong too, it looks much more comfortable.

Oh well. Just gotta get used to Vera's new look at night. Not exactly looking forward to having our first permanent machine at home. Fingers crossed she'll accept this without the fuss of the CPAP mask.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

May, I can tell you it is easier than the mask. I did have to get these little round tabs to hold it in place. I can tell Annabel sleeps so much better with the oxygen on and now I don't think I could ever let her go without it again. What level is he putting her on to begin? Praying for you and a few sleepless nights but overall will be better.

Yin May said...

Where do you stick it to hold it in place? on the nose or cheeks? did annabel try to pull it out in her sleep?

Serene Ho said...

Hang in there May. I'm sure Vera will start sleeping well at night.

Cathy said...

I stick it on her cheek(upper) right outside of her eye area. The first night the adhesive is so strong I hate to remove it in the morning. But I use them several night in a row and just add paper tape. It should come from your medical supply place with the oxygen but I had to ask. Oh yes, she can pull it off. If she wake and doesn't want to go back to sleep she will pull it off. You need the tape, almost impossible without. I let her fall asleep first then I place the oxygen on her. She will wake a litttle but fall back asleep. I had to be very diligent for about 3-6 nights just replaceing when it came off but now she know she much wear it. But of course she is older than your sweet Vera. Let me know if you need anything else. Praying for Vera and her respiratory needs.

Cathy said...

Checking back on you to see how Vera is tolerating her oxygen.. Please let us know when you get a chance. Praying you are feeling well and taking care of May...