18 May 2009

Security Guard

4am again: The mask is on, faster tonight. She's panicked and pushed it off once so far.

Mask duty is from 2-8am, so I blog to pass the hours. I'm a Security Guard - I make sure the mask stays secure.

I wonder how long I'll be working this shift till Vera gets used to wearing it through the night. Then again, there's no point in wondering. Because the answer is - as long as it takes.

To all the parents who sacrifice sleep for their children: what you give is more precious than all the riches in the world.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I do know the panic thing. It happens with Annabel several times a night. I think you forgets to coordinate the in and out of breathing. I am so worried it is keeping her mucus pushed down and she isn't getting it up. Does Vera have trouble with her mucus in her upper airway? I love your writing as you give us a dose of humor along with the writing. Sleep deprived is my new catch phrase. I am sure we are in good company. Maybe we could start a chat room while we are up on duty??? Oops forget we are on differnet parts of the globe.

Anonymous said...

Hello Security Guard... I hope tonight you will be able to catch some sleep... Salute to Mummies and Daddies of all babies!

Yin May said...

Still awake and no luck tonight after 4 tries. I'll sleep to fight another day (sorry night).

Serene Ho said...

Totally dig what you are going through. My shift usually ends at 3-4am after diaper change. Hang in there! May God help Vera be as comfortable as possible!

Brenda Botts said...

Hello May,

We have been out of town for four days so I just read up on little Vera. I bet that mask is intimidating. I would be frightened if I woke up with it on my face too. Happy Belated Mother's Day.

Brenda

Kathy said...

The love, care and sacrifice a mommy makes is a beautiful thing to witness. May God bless you, keep you and give you rest and His peace!
Love,
Kathy