23 August 2008

The Half Year Mark


Here we are today, 6 months since Vera was born.

It's a milestone mark for her. From a frail, skinny newborn, she's now a chubby little infant with folds in her thighs and a double chin. She almost looks like a different baby.

Seeing her grow beyond our expectations has been a humbling experience. We do not expect anything anymore, because the word 'expectation' holds no water. Instead we take her as she is. And are thankful for each day she's with us. We know that it's these happy times that we'll remember at the end of the day.

It's a milestone mark for me as well. I never really bonded with Vera from birth as much as Ian did. Perhaps because I never saw her coming from me, perhaps because I didn't breastfeed her, perhaps because of my post natal blues. But over the past few months, I've been working on our bond, and it's much stronger now. I can tell she likes me to sing to her, bring her down for walks, and rock her to sleep at night.

It's been a roller coaster ride, with highs and lows, ups and downs. Times of pure joy, times of pure frustration and despair. But here we are today. And here she is today.

Nothing else really matters.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Wow, I love the picture of the month! I also want to say Happy Birthday to precious Vera! Thank you for your honesty on not bonding early on. The good thing is that you worked at it and it is improving.Maybe with this diagnosis you were guarded. My husband didn't really bond wiht her and that is what people told me that maybe he didn't want to get hurt. I will pray for her kidney ultrasound. Annabel did have sever kidney issues but is better now after surgery. I will look forward to those results to see what it shows. Will be praying for high blood pressures to subside. CAthy & Annabel

Anonymous said...

Our God is an awesome healer! IF He can heal and close the PDA.... wat else can He not do.

God is able to do more than we ask or imagine. Eph 3:20

Yin May said...

Cathy, what kidney issues should we be anticipating? At what age did Annabel have them? Does she have high blood pressure as well? I read that many kids have hypertension issues.