06 August 2018

Let's Take Part Anyway


I never dream that I'd be able to take Vera out on a boat. So when I checked out the Inclusive Sports Festival and realised that they were having a sailing tryout in an indoor swimming pool, I jumped at the chance.

It'll be stable enough, safe enough for her. No choppy seas or strong winds.

The festival was to expose more abled special needs individuals to different competitive sports and hopefully get them interested to take them on. It was also a good chance for the public to experience various disability sports. But best of all, it gave Vera the once in a lifetime chance to safely 'sail' in a boat.

It wasn't easy to haul her out of the boat, and she got a little scared at the end, but I'm glad we did it.


Over at the land sports, Vera tried throwing the ball. Yes she is unable to aim and see where the ball is even going. But she got a kick out of throwing the ball with my help. I know what some of the volunteers were thinking 'This girl can't even aim or look at where the ball lands, yet her mother is still letting her throw." They smiled tentatively at me.

When you have a child like Vera, you "Do It Anyway". When you have a child like Vera, it isn't about the aim of the game, but about getting her to try. When you have a child like Vera, it's all about the journey, not the destination.

It's a mentality I learnt from many good special needs teachers, who continue to communicate with and teach students with very low ability and response. They have my utmost respect.

Come Vera, let's game on!

0 comments: